Work to stabilise the ground collapse that occurred in late September at Spencer Court in Newburn near Newcastle has been put to the test with recent heavy rain causing further flooding at the site.
Housing developer Dunelm Homes has been working to stabilise the area of ground washed out by flooding with more than 2,000t of rock placed to prevent further erosion and enable safe demolition of the worst-affected block of flats. However, Dunelm has released a statement that said the upstream section of culvert on land owned by Northumberland Estates remains blocked and heavy rain in the last few days has caused further flooding of Spencer Court.
“Persistent and heavy rain throughout Sunday and Monday has caused The Winnings to fill with water and overtop once again with water being required to be channelled through Spencer Court in order to alleviate the situation,” said Dunelm’s statement. “The Winnings is a valley owned by Northumberland Estates which is adjacent to the Northumberland Estates’ land in which the culvert system running through Spencer Court and Mill Vale starts. The culvert on Northumberland Estates’ land is blocked, making it impossible for water to pass through the culvert system.”
Dunelm has said that its remediation work has been suspended until the flooding subsides but the work carried out at the site so far has prevented any further damage.