Unsupported browser

For a better experience, please update your browser to its latest version.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser

We'll assume we have your consent to use cookies, for example so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Andes tunnel to link Chile and Argentina makes progress

The winning tenders for a tunnel between Argentina and Chile are to be announced shortly.

Crossing the Agua Negra Pass, the tunnel will be built along the central area of the border between the two countries and will cut current travelling time by three hours and make it easier to for the countries to trade.

The scheme consists of two 13.9km tunnels, approximately 4,800m above sea level in Argentina, and 3,600m on the Chilean side, along the longest border in South America through the Andes mountain range.

Predicted to cost $1.5bn (£1.1bn), 23 companies from across the world, grouped into ten consortiums, have expressed an interest in building the tunnel, which will take ten years to complete.

Currently Argentina and Chile have 26 border crossings, but most are not suitable for freight traffic and are closed for long stretches of the year because of weather conditions.

The Agua Negra Tunnel Binational Entity (Ebitan), created by the two governments, will announce which consortiums will go further in the tender process shortly. 

When completed 72% of the road and tunnel will belong to Argentina, with the remaining 28% belonging to Chile.

 

 

 

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.